Delayed till she had ceased to know
- DELAYED till she had ceased to know,
- Delayed till in its vest of snow
- Her loving bosom lay.
- An hour behind the fleeting breath,
- Later by just an hour than death,—
Oh, lagging yesterday!
- Could she have guessed that it would be;
- Could but a crier of the glee
- Have climbed the distant hill;
- Had not the bliss so slow a pace,—
- Who knows but this surrendered face
Were undefeated still?
- Oh, if there may departing be
- Any forgot by victory
- In her imperial round,
- Show them this meek apparelled thing,
- That could not stop to be a king,
- Doubtful if it be crowned!